POLITICS/BUSINESS: Analysis, chart, graph, top 1% earners vs. 99%; two reports, New York Times, Sacramento Bee....
* New York Times: "Where the One Percent Fit in ihe Hierarchy of Income" - From the NYT:
For weeks, protestors have gathered at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown Sacramento to rail against the excesses of “the 1%” – the top earners they say are thriving while the other "99 percent" struggle to get by.
In many ways, the top 1% of earners in the Sacramento region look exactly like what the protestors at Cesar Chavez Park would expect: mostly old; mostly white; mostly native-born; mostly men. But they also tend to be highly-educated; put in more hours at work than others; and served their country in the military at a high rate. They are more likely to be doctors than bankers.
Using census data from 2005 through 2009, here’s a breakdown showing characteristics of Sacramento residents who make more than $217,000 a year in personal income – enough to place them in the top 1% of the region’s earners. For comparison, facts about the rest of us are also shown.